Spikey00 Community Forums
Welcome to our community forums!

Our forums are for anyone who would like to share some thoughts and ideas, posting about gaming or life or anything else for all to view and reply. Currently it's a small (but faithful) community, and we encourage visitors to join us, such as yourself, if you find something you like about us.

Feel free to look around, but don't hesitate to register! This is a casual forum, and another member is always appreciated!

All the best!
Josh "Spikey00" Y.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to our community forums!

Our forums are for anyone who would like to share some thoughts and ideas, posting about gaming or life or anything else for all to view and reply. Currently it's a small (but faithful) community, and we encourage visitors to join us, such as yourself, if you find something you like about us.

Feel free to look around, but don't hesitate to register! This is a casual forum, and another member is always appreciated!

All the best!
Josh "Spikey00" Y.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wireless graphics card takes the desktop out of desktops

Go down

Wireless graphics card takes the desktop out of desktops Empty Wireless graphics card takes the desktop out of desktops

Post by Josh "Spikey00" Y. Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Wireless graphics card takes the desktop out of desktops Wirelessgcard-thumb-550xauto-55264

Now that wireless keyboards and mice are the norm, there's just one cable left that tethers us to desktop computers: the display cable. With a wireless graphics card, you can finally cut that last cord and get all your desktop power anywhere you want it.

The KFA2 GeForce GTX460 is a standard (and halfway decent) NVIDIA graphics card that's had its display ports ripped out and replaced with five antennas, making it the world's first wireless graphics card, according to the company. The card broadcasts on the WHDI (wireless home digital interface) standard, and can pump uncompressed 1080p video at 60Hz through the ether to a base station that plugs in to the back of a monitor.

The wireless is supposed to work up to 100 feet away, even through walls, and the upshot is that you can now wander around your house with a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and external monitor and set up your desktop computer wherever you feel like. KFA2 seems more interested in the media center streaming potential of this thing, but I like the idea of being able to have at least some of the flexibility and convenience of a laptop embodied in my desktop. True, you'd still have to lug a monitor around, but you're not tied to within five feet of your desk anymore. As technology improves and we all start using displays like these, desktop systems themselves will no longer need to be directly accessible, and we'll just stuff them in a closet somewhere and forget about them.

Pricing info isn't quite available yet, but Europe will be getting their fancy hands on them 'sometime soon.'
Josh
Josh "Spikey00" Y.
Administrator
Administrator

http://spikey00.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Wireless graphics card takes the desktop out of desktops Empty Re: Wireless graphics card takes the desktop out of desktops

Post by Josh "Spikey00" Y. Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:45 pm

I assume it will be anywhere from $200-600.

Meh, I don't really see too much of a point in this. I mean, there are laptops... well, beyond the implications that there certainly will be unnecessary latency between the computer and the graphic card.
Josh
Josh "Spikey00" Y.
Administrator
Administrator

http://spikey00.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down