Spikey00 Community Forums
Welcome to our community forums!

Our forums are for anyone who would like to share some thoughts and ideas, posting about gaming or life or anything else for all to view and reply. Currently it's a small (but faithful) community, and we encourage visitors to join us, such as yourself, if you find something you like about us.

Feel free to look around, but don't hesitate to register! This is a casual forum, and another member is always appreciated!

All the best!
Josh "Spikey00" Y.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to our community forums!

Our forums are for anyone who would like to share some thoughts and ideas, posting about gaming or life or anything else for all to view and reply. Currently it's a small (but faithful) community, and we encourage visitors to join us, such as yourself, if you find something you like about us.

Feel free to look around, but don't hesitate to register! This is a casual forum, and another member is always appreciated!

All the best!
Josh "Spikey00" Y.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Smart' food packaging knows that ham is definitely spoiled, dude

2 posters

Go down

'Smart' food packaging knows that ham is definitely spoiled, dude Empty 'Smart' food packaging knows that ham is definitely spoiled, dude

Post by Josh "Spikey00" Y. Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 pm

'Smart' food packaging knows that ham is definitely spoiled, dude Scottish-smart-food-packaging-thumb-550xauto-55356

We've all stared at that last hot dog in the wrapper or sniffed at a carton of milk with crossed fingers. Thanks to some Scottish scientists working on a new "intelligent plastic" that changes color once food is spoiled, our stomachs will no longer be at the mercy of our dubious testing methods.

Professor Andrew Mills and co. at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland are actually cutting out a middleman you probably never even knew was around. In the world of modified atmosphere packaging, food such as meat, cheese, veggies, fresh pasta and anything really is placed in a plastic bag that then has all of its air sucked out and replaced with a cocktail of protective gases. This lengthens the amount of time the food will stay good to consume, and also determines what a little label insert will say when it comes to expiration dates.

Well, instead of having to print out labels and the like, Professor Mills's smart plastic would let the consumer know, instead. (Wouldn't we still need a number in the end, though? It'd be pretty awful to open up your fridge and find out all the stuff you bought yesterday is rotten.)

It's unclear how the Strathclyde plastic works, exactly, but the benefits gained by using it could go beyond the simple labels. It could, for example, alert a buyer that a package's seal has been damaged or the contents inside were tainted somehow. That right there sounds worth the price of admission to me. There was this one time I needed a whole bunch of shrimp for appetizers for a party and — well, let's just say no one let's me plan the parties now.
Josh
Josh "Spikey00" Y.
Administrator
Administrator

http://spikey00.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

'Smart' food packaging knows that ham is definitely spoiled, dude Empty Re: 'Smart' food packaging knows that ham is definitely spoiled, dude

Post by Gov Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:21 pm

I have acouple age old methods I use.

Looks bad? Probably is bad.
Smells bad? Probably bad.
Tastes bad. Is bad.

Hasn't failed me yet.
Gov
Gov
Self-Discovering Zombie
Self-Discovering Zombie

Back to top Go down

'Smart' food packaging knows that ham is definitely spoiled, dude Empty Re: 'Smart' food packaging knows that ham is definitely spoiled, dude

Post by Josh "Spikey00" Y. Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:46 pm

I don't know, I'm same with you, but I see a few applications for this, and it could be of some use at least.
Josh
Josh "Spikey00" Y.
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gov Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 am

Im guessing this is for pre packaged meats and foods and such. I prefer freshly prepared meats then anything that comes in airtight bags in the freezer department. That way I know it is fresh, and that way I know it will have flavour.
Gov
Gov
Self-Discovering Zombie
Self-Discovering Zombie

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh "Spikey00" Y. Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 pm

You sure like stuff being live and fresh. :p
Josh
Josh "Spikey00" Y.
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gov Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:31 pm

Not when I eat it though.
Gov
Gov
Self-Discovering Zombie
Self-Discovering Zombie

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh "Spikey00" Y. Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 pm

BUT ONLY THE TRUEST OF MEN WOULD EAT SOMETHING LIVE!
Josh
Josh "Spikey00" Y.
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum